The “upper factory“ (present-day PAP manufacture) was founded by Vojtech Scheinost. He was born on April 24th, 1814 in Susice, Prikopy. He attended schools there, get trained in joinery and then left for Vienna to work in a cabinetmaker’s workshop. Except for furniture, the workshop was producing boxes for a small local match-factory. In autumn 1839 Vojtech Scheinost came back to Susice and in October he applied for licence for phosphor matches manufacture. In December 1840 he made terms with Bernard Fürth and in 1844 the first building was raised, later followed by next ones, so that the match-manufacture consisted of a corner block of buildings in the streets Hrádecká and Nádražní. That is how the “lower workshop“, today’s SOLO Susice, was established. However, Vojtech Scheinost, longing for independence, broke with Fürth in 1865 and bought a pub next to Svatobor which in some time was converted into a match-factory. Matches were produced there already in 1868 and after 1870 the company was permanently getting new buildings. The Vojtech Scheinost company was independent until 1903 when it merged with the “lower workshop“ Bernard Fürth to form the first joint-stock company SOLO.
The SOLO company was constantly developing. However, after the first World War match-factories were gradually shut down, those in Susice on March 10th, 1932. The SOLO company was forced by the town representatives to choose an alternative branch of industry for the factory. Therefore, its managers started to cope with the Löwit & Co company in Vienna. In summer 1933 this company supplied SOLO with required machines for manufacture of conic paper containers which was a completely new field of manufacturing in Susice. On August 5th, 1933 a pilot manufacture started. Ten employees were making marmelade cups, aspic bowls and round boxes. The company started to be called “PAP“ which is a name derived from “paper“ and “paper manufacturing“. At first, its employees had to overcome numerous difficulties, till they became familiarized with all the demands of the manufacture. It was also uneasy to win recognition in the market with such a novelty. Paper containers were uncommon in shops, food was being wrapped solely in glasses, tins or wooden boxes. Nevertheless, in a short time paper containers became favourite as long desired wrappings appropriate for food dosing and disposable products. Till 1939 PAP was a part of the SOLO company. After Hitler’s occupation of the Czech Republic and during World War II it belonged to the Chemical and Metallurgical Production Society. In 1945 PAP was put under state control as a part of Jihočeské papírny (South Bohemian Paper-Mills). A real technical revolution in PAP began in 1957 when the company’s technicians constructed the first semi-automatic machine allowing finishing of cup manufacturing directly in the factory. In 1967 the first automatic machine was made by PAP’s constructors. In 1969 new production line Bellapast for plastic containers was put into operation. In 1977 PAP’s workers started to use three-coloured printing machine Kolora 1 with a capacity up to 99 000 cups per day. Other similar machines were constructed in the years 1979 and 1980. In 1983 production link LTK for polystyrene cups was installed. It was equipped not only with its own shaping and cutting programs, but also with a printing machine. A new paraffining machine called SAPER for the finishing touches on the cups was put into operation in 1983. To sum up, the main success of the PAP company in the post-war period was superseding of exhausting human work by machines.
In the year 1990 the PAP company became an independent state enterprise. In 1991 it started to produce polytene-laminated cardboard cups, at the same time the number of polystyrene products grew significantly. Moreover, some polypropylene products were added. Modern history of the company has started on April 1st 1992 when the joint-stock company PAP Susice was founded by the Fund of National Possession of the Czech Republic. In the same year PAP started to use computer technology and a modern six-coloured machine Polytype. This machine prints directly on ready-made cups, using the technology of indirect typography. Its capacity is 500 cups per minute. PAP’s assortment was expanding as well as the range of new clients both in Bohemia and abroad. On May 9th, 1995 a subsidiary called PAP-POL was founded in southern Poland. In 1997 the system of quality control corresponding with the norm ISO 9001 was certificated in PAP Susice a.s. The implementation of prescribed procedures is being verified by the certification company Lloyďs Register Assurance regularly in six-month periods. Undoubtedly, the most significant event since the foundation of the PAP Susice company is the entrance of a strong strategic partner – the Italian company GIO´STYLE MONOUSO S. p. A. On December 9th, 1999 this company won a majority share in PAP (86.3% of stock). A new period of the company’s history has been started at that moment. Thanks to the new partner the assortment of disposable articles has significantly expanded. Also production and sale of drink cups has been growing. In 2002 PAP has bought a shaping machine ILLIG including necessary tools. The year 2003 was also notable thanks to a considerable modernisation – the most expensive one in PAP since November 1989 – the costs were about 210 mil. CZK. The year 2005 brought a re-gain in financial stability, disrupted in 2004 by a negative progress in business with the affiliated company GIO´STYLE Urgano S. p. A. To sum up, it can be told with certain pride that the decision on the company’s evolution has shown itself as the right one and the company’s economic growth has been long-lasting. This fact can be documented by the gain of new markets in Central and eastern Europe as well as by 10% interannual takings growth and predicted positive growth for next periods. Building of a new production hall in the upper part of the complex is planned for the coming years. Moreover, the production technology shall be supplemented in the sphere of disposable products and paper drink cups programs. The current hall is waiting for its reconstruction.
In 2006 a new significant production of disposable plastic articles has started. This strategic decision was supported by purchase of three TFT shaping machines for production of flat plates and bowls and by installing a new separate extruder type AMUT 120 for plastic wrap shaping. Thanks to these novelties, the company is able to offer wider assortment, win new clients and strengthen its position in competition.
During 2008 and 2009, the modernization and reconstruction in the company was done under the program included in EU grant program. It was completed the construction of a new production hall. The newly built area of 1500 sqare meters has been prepared for moving there the two existing AMUT and KIEFEL lines and also other machines for production of drinking cups were installed there.
Till 6/2009, two new production lines for drinking cups from PS and PP were installed and put into operation there. So, a new production capacity of 1,4 mld pieces has represented in 2009 an absolute rise of production.
The expedition warehouse space was released which was temporarily used for production. So it was obtained the storage area of 1500 square meters.
To ensure increased energy needs of the production, a new energy center was completed and put into operation.